How we do it
We operate under the Trust. We are a charitable trust and have a combination of paid and volunteer staff.
At Awhina House homeless women find a temporary home where they are supported 24/7.
No woman in Tauranga Moana wakes up without hope for her future.
To nurture, support and advocate for homeless women in Tauranga Moana.
Awhina House offers a housing focused, sustainable accommodation option for women who are homeless. We are not an emergency night shelter.
- We want to see homeless women transform their lives and make longterm change.
- We want to break the cycle of homelessness and we are committed to supporting women into their own independent housing.
- We are not a band aid solution to homelessness.
- We have a referral process for taking in new women so that Awhina House is a safe place for every woman who is under our roof.
- Awhina House is a part of the communitywide response to the multifaceted issue of homelessness.
- At Awhina House homeless women are nurtured, supported and advocated for.
- We are a residential home with up to 12 women living in our house at one time.
Our core values
- Awhi – To embrace and support women who are homeless
- Aroha – To show affection, concern, sympathy, compassion, empathy
- Manaakitanga – To show hospitality, kindness and respect to all
- Rangatiratanga – To be able to make own choices, make own decisions, have a voice
- Whanau – To build strong relationships and trust
Want to Donate?
We would love that! We need financial support to keep the lights on and to keep our women housed, fed and supported.